These days people suffer various lifestyle diseases, and a Kidney stone is one of the most common diseases among them. But with the help of Home Remedies For Kidney Stones, you can treat it naturally. Kidney stone is made of hard deposits of minerals and salt that form inside the kidneys.
The term ‘Urolithiasis’ or kidney stone is a global problem affecting human beings since ancient times and is also called ‘Nephrolithiasis.’ Urolithiasis is a condition in which the crystals of uroliths/stones are present in the urinary tract.
In the western world, the annual incidence of Urolithiasis is about 0.5%, with a lifetime risk of developing it is about 10-15%, but it increases by 20-25% in the Middle East. Urolithiasis is the formation of uneven calculi or the condition which belongs to urinary calculi.
Kidney stone is also known as calculi or crystals. These calculi can differ in size and shape, found anywhere in the urinary tract from the kidney to the bladder. Kidney stone is a significant problem in India as well as in developing countries. Kidney stones generally affected 10-12% of the industrialized population. Most human beings develop a kidney stone later in their life.
Symptoms of kidney stones
The Patient does not identify whether he is suffering from kidney stones. After leaving the stone through the kidney, it passes to the bladder with the help of ureters. At the same time, some of the stones remain in the ureters. Further, they block the urine flow out of the kidneys and make it swell; this condition is called Hydronephrosis.
Some of the common symptoms of kidney stones are as follows:
- Acute, sudden, and heavy pain in the lower abdominal area.
- A feeling of sudden urination.
- Burning feeling during urination.
- Blood particles of RBCs (red blood cells) may change the urine color to red or dark yellow.
- Feeling of nausea and vomiting.
- Male patients feel pain at the tip of their penis.
Kidney Stone Causes
The common cause of kidney stones includes the crystals of calcium oxalate, high levels of uric acid and low amounts of citrate in the body.
A slight reduction in urinary oxalate is associated with a significant decrease in the formation of calcium oxalate stones. Hence, one should avoid oxalate-rich foods like Cucumber, Green Peppers, Beetroot, Spinach, Soya Bean, Chocolate, Popcorn, and Sweet Potato. Mainly kidney stones affect the parts of the body like the kidney ureters and urethra.
More critical, kidney stone is a recurrent disorder with lifetime recurrence risk reported to be as high as 50%. Therefore, due to kidney stones, there is a higher chance of developing heart diseases. In addition, kidney stones reduce the formation of minerals and essential elements for bone formation.
Ayurvedic Perspective Of Kidney Stone
In Ayurveda, we can compare this disease with “Ashmari.” Ashmari (calculi) comprises two words, i.e., ‘Ashma’ and ‘Ari.’ ‘Ashma’ means a stone, and ‘Ari’ means enemy. Ashman (calculi), called Moothrashmari (Urolithiasis), is a disease of Moothravahasrotas (urinary tract) and involves the formation of a stone. Kidney stone resulting in severe pain as given by an enemy.
Charaka, Sushrut, and Vagbhata describe it in Ashmari Vyadhi. In Asanshodhil (regular not doing Panchkarma) and Adhikari (Unwholesome Diet), person aggravated Kapha dosha mix up with Mutra (urine), enter in Basti (Kidney, Ureter, Bladder), obstruct the urinary tract and create Ashmari. Sushrut has mentioned those who do not undergo Panchkarma Treatment regularly, take an unhealthy diet, and follow a faulty lifestyle, are prone to recurrent kidney stones.
Ayurvedic Types of Kidney Stones
Ashmari is one of the diseases that come under Asthamahagad, i.e., challenging to cure. Ashmari is Vyadhi of Mutravaha Strotas. As Basti comes under Trimarma (three-fold of life).
There are 4 types of Ashmari described in Ayurved:
1) Vataj Ashmari (Calcium Oxalate Stone): Vataj Ashmari is blackish, hard, irregular, rough structure, and like Kadamb flower full of the spike. The symptoms of this kind of Ashmari are intense pain in the abdomen and anal region. They result in burning at penis, difficult to excrete Vata, Mutra, and stool.
2) Pittaj Ashmari (Uric Acid Stone): Pittaj Ashmari looks like Bhallatak. Its symptoms are burning micturition and yellow urine.
3) Kaphaj Ashmari (Oxalate/ Phosphate stone): It is white, slimy, big, and looks like a green color. The symptoms are a pain in the Urinary bladder and thighs. Acharya Sushruta, the world-first surgeon, described various types of treatment in Ashmari like Ghrut, Kashaya, and Kshara Bhedan.
4) Shukra Ashmari (Spermolith) – This stone develops in the seminal vesicle due to the suppression of semen. If Shukra Vega (semen flow) is suppressed, it takes Vimargagamana (transit movement) and lodges in between Medhra (penis) and Vrushana (testis).
Ayurvedic Treatment for kidney stone
Ayurvedic treatment of renal stones has various therapies, including plant-based medicine, diet, and lifestyle changes.
Here are the Ayurvedic home remedies and diet recommendations to treat Kidney stone naturally:
Some Home Remedies For Kidney Stones
- Barley water (morning and evening).
- Lemon water.
- Coconut water (morning).
- Pumpkin soup.
- Sweet lime juice. (not in excess).
- Mix sugarcane juice with green cardamom (twice a day empty stomach).
- Sugarcane with Tulsi seeds and milk.
- Sugarcane with cumin seeds and honey.
- Sugarcane with fennel seeds, coriander, and mishri (unrefined sugar).
Drink plenty of fluid: 2-3 quarts/day
You should include any fluid such as water, coffee, and lemonade in your diet. They have been shown to have a beneficial effect except for grapefruit juice and soda. This will help produce less concentrated urine and ensure a good urine volume of at least 2.5L/day.
Limit foods with high oxalate content
It would be best if you eliminated spinach, berries, chocolate, wheat bran, nuts, beets, and tea from your diet.
Eat enough dietary calcium
Three servings of dairy per day will help lower the risk of calcium stone formation.
Avoid extra calcium supplements
You should take calcium supplements regularly but only after consulting with your physician and registered kidney dietitian.
Eat a moderate amount of protein
High protein intake will cause the kidneys to excrete more calcium. This may cause more stones to form in the kidney. So, you should eat a moderate amount of protein.
Avoid high salt intake
High sodium intake increases calcium in the urine which increases the chances of developing stones. Therefore, it would help if you had a low salt diet, and it is also important to control blood pressure.
Avoid high doses of vitamin C supplements
It is recommended to take 60mg/day of vitamin C. This is because the excess amounts of Vitamin C help to produce more oxalate in the body.
Ayurvedic Medicine For Kidney Stone
Along with the diet and lifestyle changes, you should also consider some Ayurvedic medicines. These medicines will not only help you to treat kidney stones but also help to avoid recurrence.
The following are some medicines you may consider to treat kidney stones:
Ashmarihar Kwath (Patanjali)
The active ingredients include Hajrul Yahud Bhasma (silicate of lime), Yavakshar, Shwet Parppati, and Pashanbhed Churna. Anupan of this Kwath is Kulthi Kadha which has Kaphahar and Bhedan property.
Dose – 2 tsp. twice a day with water.
The active ingredients included are Nagarmotha (Root), Sounth (Rhizome), Kali Marich (Seed), Pippali (Fruit), Haritaki (Fruit), Bibhitaki (Fruit), Amla (Fruit), Shudh Guggul, Gokharu (Panchang). In addition, Gokshuradi Guggulu acts as Antispasmodic and Antibiotic. It has Mutral (Diuretic) property.
Dose – 2 tablets twice a day with water.
Varunadi Kadha (Baidyanath)
Its active ingredients include Varun, Pashanbheda, Sunthi, and Gokshura. Varunadi Kwath is Diuretic in action. In addition, it has Bhedan (penetration) activity. So, it helps to disintegrate the stone.
Dose – 2 tsp thrice a day with a half cup of water.
Do’s and Dont’s
- Drink enough water, and avoid aerated drinks like carbonated water, soft drink, etc.
- Eat on time.
- Urinate on time. Don’t hold the urge to urinate.
- Cleanse the bowel by drinking warm water early in the morning.
- Avoid Tomatoes, Brinjal, Chikku, too many bananas, dairy products, and maida food, if you have a history of kidney stones.
- Regularly practice Yoga poses, Meditation, Pranayama.
- Eat fruits with high water content.
Please find below the infographic on “Herbal and Home Remedies For Kidney Stones”. Feel free to use this infographic but make sure to cite us at www.healthybazar.com.
According to Ayurveda, lifestyle modification through diet, internal medicines, and Basti therapy is highly effective in managing renal stones. In addition, proper counseling and guidance should be provided to kidney stone patients, including Pathya – Apathya (dietary management) correlation with Ashmari management. Home Remedies For Kidney Stones can help prevent further complications, including recurrence of the disease.