Treatment of Leucorrhea: The health of the female reproductive system comes under the heading of Gynecology medical practices. Women’s health is essential, not only for the healthy and happy status of her family but also for society and nation.
And the most common gynecological problem females face is Leucorrhoea. It is the discharge of white, sticky, foul-smelling fluid from the vagina. All women experience this problem once in their lifetime. So, it is accompanied by weakness, pain in the thighs, joints, back, and itching in the vagina.
It is a frequent gynecological complaint of women that accounts for more than 25% of gynae patients’ visits to gynecologists.
Leucorrhea in Ayurveda
Ayurveda describes Leucorrhea under the heading of “Shweta Pradar,” where Shweta means ‘white’ and Pradar means ‘discharge.’ Shweta Pradar is described in Ayurvedic Samhitas like Yoga Ratnakara, Bhav Prakash, and Charaka Samhita. According to Ayurveda, Sweta Pradara (Leucorrhea) is not a disease but a symptom of several diseases. Sometimes, this symptom becomes so severe that it overshadows the other symptoms of the actual disease. Thus, women mistakenly think that they are suffering from this disease only.
Shweta Pradar is a Kapha Dosha generated disorder of the female genital organ system. It means that the aggravated Kapha dosha is the leading cause of vaginal discharge. Like diet and lifestyle errors or some hormonal disturbances, vitiating factors increase Kapha, which releases white and painless vaginal discharge mainly due to Kapha Dosha’s dominance with Rasa Dhatus (body fluids) of the reproductive system. Also, The other aggravating factors in Shweta Pradar can be excessive coitus, abortion, irregular menstruation cycle, and unhygienic clothes and vagina.
Types of Leucorrhea
According to modern science, Leucorrhea is divided into two types:
1. Physiological Leucorrhoea
It is common in almost every woman and is caused by the natural defense mechanism of the vagina to maintain its chemical balance and preserve the flexibility of the vaginal tissue. It usually occurs when estrogen levels are increased. When the vaginal discharge is thin, odorless, transparent, mucus-like, and not subsequently increased in quantity, it is considered a normal vaginal discharge.
2. Inflammatory Leucorrhoea
In this type of Leucorrhoea, vaginal swelling or congestion inside the vaginal mucosa occurs. The discharge is usually yellow-colored with a foul smell, which is caused by an infection. Sexually transmitted diseases also cause this type of Leucorrhoea or can be due to postpartum discharge after delivery.
According to Ayurveda, there are four types of Leucorrhea:
1. Vataj Pradara
The discharge will be pink, dry, bubbly, little by little, and also associated with pain. The discharge resembles the flesh washed water.
2. Pittaja Pradara
The discharge will be of either yellow, blue, or black color, and a burning sensation is connected.
3. Kaphaja Pradara
The discharge will be slimy, pale, and appear like wheat washed water.
4. Sannipataj Pradara
It includes a combination of all the kinds and will have a mixture of the features mentioned above. The discharge also appears similar to the mix of honey and ghee, yellow in color, or else seems like the marrow and foul odor.
Symptoms of Leucorrhea
The main symptom of Shweta Pradar is slimy, thick, and white vaginal discharge sometimes with a profuse smell. Moreover, the color of the discharge may be white, yellow, red, and black or may be associated with a foul smell, itching, burning sensation, and irritation of vaginal skin.
- Increased vaginal discharge with weakness and lethargy.
- Frequent vaginal discharge leads to pain in the calf muscle and also the lumbar region.
- In some cases, a burning sensation can be present along with constipation.
Causes of Leucorrhea
With the consumption of Kapha & Vata Dosha vitiating factors, Kapha increases that causes Agnimandya (low digestive fire) in addition to Rasa Dushti (impure body fluids), which results in Aam (constipation). This constipation increases the amount of kled (wetting agent) in the vagina and results in Leucorrhea.
- Hormonal disturbance
- Increased estrogen hormone levels
- Improper hygiene habits
- Loss of iron in the blood (Anemia)
- Wounds or any injury to the vagina
Due to the reasons mentioned above, the Doshas are vitiated and enter in the sites of Apana Vata (present in reproductive organs), which are Shroni (hips), Basti (urinary bladder), Uru (thighs), and Yoni (vagina). Due to Doshas’ imbalance, the body can not combat the vital strength, and therefore it is lost through the vaginal route.
Clinical Methods to Diagnose Leucorrhea
- Cytological examination (Pap smear)
- Cervical Punch Biopsy
- Cervical culture
- Hematology: Hb%, TLC, DLC, ESR
- Serological investigations: VDRL, HIV
- Urine examination: Routine & microscopic
Treatment of Leucorrhea
The Ayurvedic treatment of Leucorrhea is based on its Doshik Pathogenesis because Kapha Dosha is responsible for vaginal discharge. In order to clean the accumulated toxins and bring Kapha Dosha back in a balanced stage, restoration of Agni (digestive fire) is considered the main principle of treatment in Ayurveda.
Treatment of Leucorrhea in Ayurveda contains herbal medicines such as:
Chitrakadi Vati contains Chitrak, Marich, Ajmoda, Pippali, and Saindhav Lavan. These herbs also increase digestive fire and remove toxins from the body and maintain Dosha balance.
Dosage – 2 tablets twice a day with warm water
This medicine contains herbs like Lodhra, Ashoka, Udumber, and Arjuna, which balances aggravated Kapha Dosha associated with Vata and Pitta dosha. This herbal formulation can also treat all female health problems like excessive vaginal discharge, irregular periods, uterine fibroids, and cysts.
Dosage – 1/2 tbsp twice a day with warm water after meals
Gandhak Rasayan contains Shuddha Gandhak, Amla, Vibhitki, Haritki, and Chaturjat. This formulation is used in the treatment of fungal infections, skin diseases, itching, chronic fever, irritation in the skin, and also in urinary tract infections. Moreover, this also helps to maintain the female reproductive system and maintain healthy skin.
Dosage – 2 tablets two times a day with water after meals
Lodhrasava is a decoction of herbs like Lodhra, Pushkar Mool, Moorva, Ajwain, Priyangu, Chavya, Supari, Kutaki, Tagar, and Naagkesar. This formulation also helps to relieve pain, itching, irritation, or discomfort associated with heavy periods or vaginal discharge.
Dosage – 2 tsp mixed with a half cup of water, 3 times a day before meals
Home Remedies for Leucorrhea
- Along with the medicines, these are home remedies for Leucorrhea that can help cure and overcome its symptoms. Some effective ones are given below.
- Take freshly squeezed lemon juice, mix it with some water and wash your vaginal area with it.
- Make sure to drink cranberry juice once a day.
- Soak 2 tsp of coriander seeds in 1 cup of water overnight. Strain and drink it on an empty stomach early morning.
- Take some leaves of banana flower and crush well. Strain out 10-15 ml of the juice. Mix it with honey and take it early in the morning, empty stomach.
- Take one cup of rice washed water and 5-10 g each of jaggery and cumin seeds. Cook it for 5-10 minutes and take it during noontime.
Lifestyle tips for Leucorrhea
One can manage Leucorrhea naturally with just a few lifestyle and dietary changes. So, here are some tips that you can follow for the most excellent results.
Diet tips for Leucorrhea
- Take adequate amount of water intake
- Avoid sugary items like ice creams
- Don’t consume mushrooms as they can grow the infection
- Avoid hot, spicy, and junk foods
- Quit smoking and also avoid alcohol intake
- Try to eat fresh curd daily
- Cleanliness and hygiene of reproductive organs are essential. So, wash your genitals carefully and not let moisture retain in the genitals area after the bath. Also, let the water flow on the anus and vulva properly to wash them clean.
- Wash your vagina every time after urinating.
- Clean the inner wears and yourself with a good quality detergent and soap having bactericidal and fungicidal properties.
- Before sexual intercourse with your partner, make sure he is free from all kinds of infections. Also, Wash your organs clean after the process to keep away from diseases.
- Morning walks for 30 minutes should be maintained.
- Do not use any cosmetic products like powders or perfumes in the genital area.
- Contraceptive users should stop the pill temporarily if the symptoms are very much annoying.
- Don’t use petroleum jelly, oils, and moisturizers for lubrication during sexual intercourse.
- Don’t scrape infected or inflamed areas; it can increase irritation.
- Avoid sexual intercourse until treatment is completed.
Please find below the infographic of Leucorrhea. Feel free to use this infographic but make sure to cite us at www.healthybazar.com
Also Read: Pregnancy Care Tips in Ayurveda
By maintaining women’s general health and increasing personal hygiene along with proper dietary regimen and lifestyle changes, we can prevent the occurrence of Shweta-Pradara. Still, if we need proper medication, Ayurvedic medicines for Leucorrhea or Ayurvedic herbs are also available online that can help you treat it without any side-effects.