Constipation (Qabz) is one of the most common health problems these days. A day without complete bowel movement can be very unsettling and sometimes painful. Our modern lifestyle is such that it has given rise to this problem. Some of the most common causes are junk food consumption, smoking, drinking alcohol, and overeating. Most people affected by this problem feel uneasy and bloated with the inability to pass stool easily.
According to a study conducted by American Gastroenterological Association in 2020, more than 40% of persons worldwide have FGIDs (Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders), which affect the quality of life and health care use.
Thus we have compiled all you need to know about constipation in this blog, along with a few natural remedies for constipation.
Unani Causes of Constipation (Qabz)
According to Unani Medicine, constipation (qabz) is caused by eating less quantity of fibrous food and consumption of a gas-producing diet. It may result in decreased repulsive force or increased retentive force of the intestine, weakened intestinal sensitivity and muscles, excessive absorption of chime by the liver, decreased flow of secretions towards intestine and weakened heat of the stomach and intestine (unani: Zo’f-e- hararat-e- meda wa ama’a).
It may also be the result of a faulty lifestyle and wrong dietary patterns. Other causes of constipation include untimely, unbalanced food habits, less physical exercise, and irregular sleeping habits. It is also mentioned in the Unani text that constipation is the mother of all illnesses that result in gastritis, piles, duodenal ulcer, and severe abdominal pain.
Common Causes of Constipation (Qabz)
People of all ages can occasionally suffer from constipation. However, there are certain people and situations that are more likely to lead to permanent constipation (“chronic constipation”).
● Insufficient dietary fibre intake or not having enough roughage in the diet.
● Lack of exercise.
● Heavy intake of dairy products, meats, refined sugar, and eggs.
● Excessive use of strong tea, coffee, and alcoholic beverages.
● Haemorrhoids, Intestinal obstruction, and Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
● Stroke, anxiety, and stress.
● Long bed rest, overeating, and insufficient chewing.
● Hormonal imbalance during pregnancy and menstrual periods.
● Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement.
Symptoms of Constipation (Qabz)
There are a few complications that can occur if you do not have soft, regular bowel movements.
Some complications are:
● The darkness of the tongue is due to the accumulation of keratin on the tongue.
● Food digestion takes a long time that disturbs nerve signals of the stomach which leads to the slow action of the stomach.
● Stools become yellowish in colour.
● The intestine becomes inflamed by the infection, which leads to failure of proper absorption of fat.
● Difficulty in the passing stool due to inflammation around the perineal region.
● When the intestine is blocked, stools back up, which can lead to breathing the smell like poop.
● The longer your stool is present in the colon the more time bacteria gets to ferment and it becomes gassier, and you feel bloated.
● Nausea, vomiting, weight loss- There is an increase of bacteria in the intestine which triggers nauseous feelings.
● The intestine starts absorbing too much water because of low water intake the intestine tries to retain it, which causes dry and hard stool.
Diet and lifestyle changes
The best way to manage constipation is to avoid regimens causing constipation. There are various lifestyle modifications and diet modifications that play an important role to overcome the disease. Some precautionary measures for avoiding constipation include increased body movement and exercise, walking or light exercise in the open air in the morning is beneficial, increased fluid intake, and dietary changes including increased fibre and fruit and salads.
Along with that, you need to adopt the following changes in your lifestyle to prevent constipation:
● Sleep at least 6-8 hours.
● Consume properly cooked vegetables to avoid constipation.
● Eat your food whenever you are feeling hungry only.
● Avoid excessive non-vegetarian, deep-fried, junk food etc.
● Take lukewarm milk before going to bed.
● Take ripped Bel fruit, as it is excellent for avoiding constipation.
● Eat Guava in sufficient quantity as it provides roughage and gives relief from constipation.
● Drinking 3-4 glasses of water early in the morning on an empty stomach helps in bowel movement and passage of normal stool.
Natural Remedies for Constipation
Just like there are many possible causes of constipation, there are many treatment options as well. Adjusting your lifestyle habits or reaching for home remedies may be all you need to treat occasional constipation.
Here are some of the best natural remedies for constipation:
● Take 2 tablespoons of Isabgol along with milk or lukewarm water and take it daily at bedtime to get relief from constipation.
● Take 2-3 tablespoons of Roghan Badam (Almond oil) with lukewarm milk at bedtime.
● Grind 25 gms. Halailah siyah (Haritaki or Harad) and 25 gms of Almonds separately and add honey. Take a 2 tablespoon of mixture twice a day. It is a very useful Unani remedy for constipation and piles.
● Take equal quantities of Sanay (Senna) leaf powder, Sonth (Dried Ginger Powder), Saunf (Fennel), and Sendha Namak (Rock Salt). Grind them properly, use 1 tablespoon at bedtime to cure constipation. The mixture is a very effective Unani treatment for constipation.
● Consume ripped Bel fruit, as it is excellent for avoiding constipation.
● Use spices in food like Cumin, Turmeric and Coriander to digest your food.
● Taking one glass of fresh Cabbage juice is very beneficial in treating constipation.
● Boil some Munakka (Dry Grapes/Raisins) in milk, and drink it after straining. It is a potent remedy for constipation.
● Take Kalonji (Black Cumin) seed powder and mix it with lukewarm milk. You can also add some sugar to make it sweet. It is excellent for constipation.
Unani Medicines to treat constipation
It acts as Purgative and Demulcent. It is used in treating Constipation, Flatulence.
Dose: Local application around the anal region
Itrifal Mulayyan is an effective medicine for curing chronic pain. It acts as a laxative, It helps for the stimulation of peristalsis thereby improving the process of digestion.
Dose: 1 tsp. to be taken with lukewarm water or milk at bedtime.
Habe Muqil is used in the treatment of Piles, constipation and weakness of the stomach, flatulence. It strengthens the stomach and removes impurities from the intestine which lead to or trigger constipation and piles.
Dose: 1 tab. twice a day after meals with water.
Please find below the infographic on “Natural Remedies For Constipation To Get Immediate Relief”. Feel free to use this infographic but make sure to cite us atwww.healthybazar.com.
Constipation is prevalent in the present human population, and the exact correlation of this disease with any conventional disease entity is difficult but Hippocratic Journal of Unani Medicine clinical presentations are related to diseases like Constipation, piles and IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome). Being holistic in nature, proven age-old, time-tested effective Unani regimes and natural remedies for constipation helps better control this disease and burden on the patient and society. Also to improve your overall digestive health you can visit “Ways to Improve Digestive Health”.